Monday, June 8, 2009

Wind verses Solar

I have acquired the parts to build a small wind turbine to help with our power needs. Don't be fooled into thinking you have to spend a couple of thousand dollars, fact is if your willing to build it yourself its fairly cheap. I haven't built mine yet as I don't have time and I would like to be in the valley to test the blade design against the winds in the valley.
I currently have a 15 volt brushless DC motor from a cordless grinder and a 40 amp blocking diode. Yes that's it for the electronics.
I will need to build or aquire a large gear wheel to use as a reducer so I get proper rpm's and then a windmill. I am thinking of using a canister style blade so it will better handle the valleys' high winds. I am concerned that on a small unit regular blades could snap off. I prob wont get around to working on this until at least a month or so after we arrive in the valley as there is alot of stuff to do. Fortunately we have solar panels to get us through but using the wind will make life alot easier, once its built of course.

Blessed Be

No comments:

Post a Comment