Monday, June 15, 2009

Wind Turbine







Home made wind turbine construction and testing.



Very simple construction, used 6" PVC pipe cut to 3" at hub end and 1" at tip. Sanded it smooth and attached to hub which is nothing more than a coffee can lid. I think I may need something a little stiffer but we will see when we get back to the valley in Aug. The motor is a 18 volt cordless drill with a permanent magnet motor the body of which I will be redoing to use as a protective cover, but i need to seal up the various holes and build a fin for it so it turns into the wind. It is better looking so far than I thought it would be so hopefully the trend continues.



Voltage testing is as follows: Hand cranking the motor produced at most but with little effort 8.36 volts and around 5.76 amps with a resulting 48 watts. Using another drill to turn the motor I was able to produce 18.7 volts at 14 amps giving me 261 watts max.
We haven't got enough wind to test this blade configuration for performace but it turns easily with no resistance so hopefully it works really well.



I have a 40 amp blocking diode to install in the positive line and I am thinking I can run a second turbine through this one diode. I am however unsure of this so if someone knows please leave a comment or email me.



I hope this has been helpful ... Blessed Be

1 comment:

  1. Very impressive! You will get good use from it out here. -Geoff

    ReplyDelete