Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Solar Space Heaters

In my efforts to make sure we are comfortable while I build the house i have been checking a a more efficient way to heat our camper and wouldn't ya know it I found one so simple I can't believe I didn't think of it. Soda can space heater mounted on south wall. These unit are being professionally build in some places however most are build by those who use them. Simply by building multiple chimneys out of stacked soda cans and painting them black you create a natural heat collector. Place a low watt fan at the intake and you got a forced air solar heater. There are a lot of pages on this "Technology" so if you want to check it I recommend doing a search on passive solar heating for RV's or soda can heater. Its really cool and can make a big difference in heating smaller spaces. I will begin building our within the next week or two.

www.solarpowerathome.com/passive-solar-heater.html

1 comment:

  1. I have seen this concept several times across the internet, but wanted to build my own.

    I used Black plastic pipe used for french drains to get the same effect for my heat chamber and it worked pretty well. No drilling of cans. This stuff works.

    Take a look if interested.

    http://gravitygarden.com/powergarden/?page_id=11

    ReplyDelete